Ensuring sustainable environment and the forests through conservation of ecology and bio-diversity, control of environmental pollution, resilience against the negative effect of climate change, research, botanical survey and the development of forests are the objectives of this initiative. The initiative also aims to expand the total forest land with a view to ensuring a livable environment for the present and next generations through using a suitable and time befitting technology.
- The forest coverage rose to nearly 17.08% in 2014-15 from 7-8% in 2005-06.
- Making bricks and establishing brick Kiln Act 2013 has been in force from 1st July 2014. The act prohibits brick production in the existing backdated technology based brick Kiln having 120 feet high chimney. So far about 50% brick Kiln have been turned into environment friendly technology based brick Kiln.
- Environment and Forest Ministry is running a Tk. 4.87 billion World Bank (WB) financed project called Clean Air and sustainable Environment (CASE) project with an aim to combat air pollution.
- Efficient Treatment Plants (ETP) have been set up in 182 industries in 2014-15 FY. With a view to protecting Dhaka city and the Buriganga River from the pollution caused by the tannery industries steps have been taken to shift the tanneries from Hazaribagh, Dhaka to Horindhora, Savar area after setting up ETP centrally.
- To protect environment the following laws have been enacted: Bangladesh Environment Protection (Amendment) Law-2010, Environment Court Law-2010, Climate Change Trust Law 2010 and Bangladesh Bio-diversity Rules-2013.
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been awarded the ‘Champion of the Earth 2015’ award in UN policy Leadership Category for her outstanding contribution to face climate change effects.
- Increase of Productive forest coverage to 20% by 2020.
- Improve air quality in Dhaka and other large cities and enact clean Air Act.
- Promote zero discharge of industrial effluents.
- Protect 15% of wet land in dry season as aquatic sanctuary.
- Increase awareness to combat adverse effect of climate change.